Welcome to University of California - Santa Barbara student health insurance plan website.
Please note: UC Santa Barbara - Extension students, please click
Aetna Student HealthSM gives you access to care by working closely with your school and with a network of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and specialists throughout the country.
Aetna is pleased to work with University of California Santa Barbara to offer Gaucho Health Insurance (GHI) for 2016-2017. Please refer to information on this plan found on the Student Health Service (SHS) website at
http://studenthealth.sa.ucsb.edu. This website is designed to provide information to help you understand available services at SHS and the insurance program available to you.
UCSB and Aetna are working together to provide a comprehensive program that couples the on-campus resources of Student Health Service (primary care and mental health services) with a health insurance benefit plan that provides a network of specialists and
hospitals. Gaucho Health Insurance provides coverage for illnesses and injuries that occur on or off campus, while at home and worldwide.
Students use Student Health Service just as they would a doctor's office. In fact, you are encouraged to choose a clinician who will serve as your primary care Provider
for the duration of your time at UCSB. The facility is fully accredited, staffed by board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, psychiatrists, counselors and registered dietitians.
- Registered students are automatically enrolled in GHI. The fee for GHI is billed as part of students' registration fees. Your coverage is active from the first day of the coverage period, September 17, 2016 - September 23, 2017. All students have the option
to waive out by September 22, 2016(through the Student Health website).
- Referral Requirement
- If you are more than 50 miles away from UCSB, non-emergency appointments do not require a referral. If you are within 50 miles, please make an appointment at SHS to get a referral.
- If out of the UCSB area, you can find an Aetna Provider
You can enroll in the medical plan if you are on approved leave:
Student Health Insurance Plan
For existing members, to obtain the terms of your Plan Guide and a copy of your Plan Design and Benefits Summary and Plan Guide, please contact us at the number located on the back of your member ID card or click on one of the links below.
If you are not an existing member, for additional information on the terms of the Plan Guide and a copy of the Plan Design and Benefits Summary plan, please contact (855) 821-9712.
2016 - 2017 Plan documents and benefits
The plans described in the below summary documents are pending approval by the state insurance department. If changes are made as a result of the approval process, revisions will be posted.
- 2017 University of California - Santa Barbara Undergraduate and Graduate Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2017 University of California - Santa Barbara Early Start Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2017 University of California - Santa Barbara Freshman Summer Start Program Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2017 University of California - Santa Barbara Teacher’s Education Program Summary of Benefits and Coverage
2016 - 2017 Important Plan Design and Benefits Summary Notice: Changes to
2016 - 2017 Plan Design and Benefits Summary - Plan-specific information on services the plan covers, deductibles,
premium rates, enrollment and waiver deadline dates, plan limitations and more.
2016 - 2017 Plan Design and Benefits Summary - Spanish
2016 - 2017 Plan Guide
2016 - 2017 Description of On Call Services
2016 - 2017 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Summary of Coverage
2016 - 2017 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Certificate of Coverage
Aetna Student HealthSM is the brand name for products and services provided by Aetna Life Insurance Company and its applicable affiliated companies (Aetna). Fully insured student health insurance plans are underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance
Company. Self-insured plans are funded by the applicable school, with claims administration services provided by Aetna Life Insurance Company.